Here is a letter that I was sent that is rather interesting, if not ridiculous.
It came from an Elementary School administrator and was sent to all of the teachers of that school. The name of the school has been changed to protect the school system. Where I altered the words or added to the message, to better emphasis the bylaw, I put my initials.
I feel it’s ridiculous for a few reasons:
- Hospitality is defined as – “The friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.”
- The definition of Hospitality is not to collect money and redistribute back to only those who donate.
- The focus of this committee does not indicate any generosity to anyone beyond those who donate
What do you think about this committee’s bylaws?
REVISED September 2012
Each teacher is requested to join the Committee with a $25 entry fee. (TLB)
The administrator repeatedly announced over the PA system, durin the school day, that the Committee dues were due.
Hospitality Committee By-Laws 2012-2013 School Year
1. In case of hospitalization due to serious illness that requires 3-4 or more consecutive days of absence, of any staff member, a plant or gift of $25 shall be given.
2. In case of death of a staff member, a memorial or $100 shall be given.
3. In case of death of an immediate member of the family of a staff member (mother,father, sister, brother, child, spouse, mother-in-law, or father-in-law), a memorial of $25 shall be given (including auxiliary personnel – social worker, nurse, psychologist,
cafeteria staff, custodial staff, BUDS services).
4. In case of the death of a closer relative a card shall be sent.
5. In case of death of an educator in the school system, such a Superintendent, Principal of another school, or Supervisor, a card shall be sent.
6. Any faculty member who completes a degree or who becomes Nationally Board Certified shall receive a $25 gift certificate.
7. The “Teacher of the Year” (TOY) and Classified Employee of the Year shall each receive a $50 gift certificate in the year she/he serves as Teacher of the Year or Classified Employee of the Year.
If I were Teacher of the Year, I would not want to be tagged TOY (TLB)
8. Upon marriage of a faculty member, a gift certificate of $25 will be given (auxiliary personnel). (Staff members who have paid dues are not required to give a gift if a bridal shower is given).
9. For the birth of a baby, or legal adoption of a child, the faculty member shall receive a gift certificate of $25. (Staff members who have paid dues are not required to give a gift if a baby shower is given).
So, if all of the teachers join this committee, and they have a baby shower – can we all show up without a gift? (TLB)
10. For retiring faculty members, a $50 gift certificate shall be given at a school gathering.
11. Staff Christmas party and End of the Year picnic shall be partially funded as determined by the Hospitality Committee.
This is so only partially hospitable (TLB)
12. All staff are encouraged to participate in the Hospitality Committee. If you choose not to participate, you may not be included in the above monetary gifts.
Does this mean that I may be included because I’m special and the others are not? (TLB)
THE BY-LAWS WILL STAND AS WRITTEN FOR THE 2012-2013 SCHOOL YEAR. ANY OTHER CHANGES WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF FUTURE HOSPITALITY COMMITTEE.