Today is January 3, 2016.
34 years ago the announcement that may have been printed in the local paper would have said, “Mr Teddy Burriss & his lovely wife Rebecca (aka Bum) are the proud parents of a bouncing baby girl.”
I asked them not to print that because I had yet to see our newborn baby bounce. And, Rebecca did not want me to test her.
True story – As an infant, I dropped her once and I was not testing the bounce theory.
Fast forward to yesterday when this observation of being the Father of a 34 year old really hit me.
I decided to look back at the past 34 years and review the memories.
Here are the ones that came to mind the quickest, not necessarily in chronological order:
- 8lbs, 1 oz, 21.5″ long, ear is red from doctor using forceps, no birth marks
- very alert, as if to be asking “who is that loud guy?”
- blue eyes, ultimately blond hair at year 1
- Ronald Regan was our President
- loved to put food in her hair
- Loves mashed potatoes
- face plant at the pool
- loves to help mom cook
- Dad hung Aubrey (the doll)
- at Fireworks – ‘change the channel please’
- “I’ll have Chicken nuggets and for my two sides I’ll have mashed potatoes and mashed potatoes”
- Made me smile day one and still today
- Short curly hair as a child
- She loves (loved?) mismatched clothes
- Play music and she danced. More like her mommy, not her daddy
- Put a crayon or pencil in her hand and she smiled as she wrote words
- She loves to learn
- She loves the teachers who care to teach her
- She asks lots of questions
- She was as beautiful as a child as she is today
- No, she did not have me wrapped around her little finger
- I gave her my favorite little car
- Miss curfew and Mom will run down the sidewalk in her big fluffy yellow robe & curlers in her hair to yell at you and your boy friend
- She was clear and precise at finding her life partner. Skips celebrations on Leap Year since 2000
- Her husband is a good choice.
- The trials and tribulations of becoming a tenant. Slum lords suck
- Love pushes you to achieve lots of goals, including your husband’s US Citizenship. It was all him, but with a good women behind him
- Early Home Owner because you built your Credit Score
- You became a fabulous mommy in development on 5/13/2003
- “What do you hear?”, “I hear two”, “two what”, “heart beats”, “where”, in there”, “in her?”….
- A business woman has Focus, Passion, Desire, Attitude, Ability, Purpose, Goal, Compassion, Faith and never lets anything stop her from building a thriving business that changes peoples lives in a positive way
- Landlord, Home Owner & Mortgage Banker
- Yeah, we’ll have 4 children
- Your family is my family, let’s do what we can to help them
- Our home is their home
- We are responsible for her success because we brought her to our home. We’ll treat her like our daughter.
- Bubble Lips
- Hard work is only for those who don’t love their business
- Yes baby, we’ll move to Raleigh because you love your job
- Luge in the back yard in the winter
- Walking in the blizzard
- Can I play with the computer Daddy?
- What is the Internet and how do you make money using it?
- Dad bought a bra
- Boss & Leader
- Why is Izzy crying now?
- If the answer should be yes, she’ll not take no for an answer.
- Moola Saving Mom is a success!
My daughter – Jessie Lee.
I am a blessed Man. I have four beautiful smart, compassionate daughters. Each raising their own family. Being a Blessed Dad kicked off for me 34 years ago.
Happy Birthday Jessie
I love you
Here are some images that sparked my memories